Broadly speaking, I conduct research that aims to further our understanding of the role of socio-cultural influences on human motivation and behavior, particularly in the contexts of racial and ethnic disparities in health, immigration and biculturalism, as well as social conflicts.
For the most part, my research examines: (a) some of the cognitive processes through which individuals derive identities and norms from socio-cultural groups, (b) the impact of group membership on human motivation, particularly with regards to the acquisition and maintenance of health-related behaviors and involvement in intergroup conflicts, and (c) approaches to change group processes that foster social dysfunction.
These interests have led to projects illustrating the powerful influence of socio-cultural groups on a range of behaviors (e.g., binge drinking, physical activity, procrastination, political demonstration) and on psychological well-being (e.g., self-esteem, life satisfaction, social anxiety).
- Attitudes and Beliefs
- Culture and Ethnicity
- Emotion, Mood, Affect
- Group Processes
- Health Psychology
- Intergroup Relations
- Motivation, Goal Setting
- Persuasion, Social Influence
- Self and Identity
- Social Cognition
- Lou, E., Lalonde, R. N., & Giguère, B. (2012). Making the decision to move out: Bicultural young adults and the negotiation of cultural demands and family relationships. Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology, 43, 663–670.
- Giguère, B., & Lalonde, R. N. (2010). Why do student strike? Direct and indirect determinants of collective action participation. Political Psychology, 31, 227-247
- Outten, H. R., Giguère, B., Schmitt, M. T., & Lalonde, R. N. (2010). Racial identity, racial context, and ingroup status: Implications for attributions to discrimination among Black Canadians. Journal of Black Psychology, 36, 172-196.
- Giguère, B., Lalonde, R. N., & Lou, E. (2010). Living at the crossroads of cultural worlds: The experience of normative conflicts by second generation immigrant youth. Social Psychology and Personality Compass, 4, 14-29.
- Giguère, B., & Lalonde, R. N. (2009). The effects of identity threat, resource depletion and social identification on the exertion of effort. Group Processes and Intergroup Relations, 12, 195-208.
- Lalonde, R. N., & Giguère, B. (2008). When might the two cultural worlds of second generation biculturals collide? Canadian Diversity, Summer, 58-62.
- Introduction to Psychology
- Multicultural Psychology
- Social Psychology
- Phone: (519) 824-4120 ext. 56862
Department of Psychology
University of Guelph
Guelph, ON N1G 2W1